We are in the midst of the winter season. Long, dark nights and short, cold days. You didn't need me to remind you of that, did you? ;)
If you live in Vermont, like me, you are surrounded by many feet of snow (for most of the winter and sometimes into the spring -- see pic above from earlier this winter).
Sometimes it can seem difficult to prioritize wellness when you just want to stay curled up under a cozy blanket in front of the fireplace … which is actually a wonderful way to prioritize wellness, if it means you are relaxing!
We are big fans of staying healthy (and sickness free), and since there are still two more months of winter (or more than that, depending on where you live), we wanted to share our top 5 tips for prioritizing wellness.
So, without further ado, here they are . . .
1. Nourish your body with yummy, healthy foods, lots of water, and vitamins and/or supplements to help your immune system stay strong.
Everyone has a favorite water bottle, right?! Well, just in case you don't have a favorite already, here are some that we love to use to help us stay hydrated throughout the day:
2. Make sure you are getting enough sleep! Sleep allows your body to rest, repair, and renew. Getting the right amount of sleep for your body will help improve your mood as well as your memory and overall brain function.
Lindsey, our copywriter, really loves to sleep (although as a mom of 2 boys (ages 5 and 2), she doesn’t get as much as she would like -- I know some of you know how she feels)! She also often asks me when I (Meggan) sleep . . . and that is a great question . . . some of us need less sleep than others. ;)
Although, sometimes we all need a little help getting our best night of sleep:
- Use a silk sleep mask and never get distracted by the light from your phone (or your partner’s phone) again!
- Add Farmer's Body bath salts to a nighttime bath to relax those sore muscles before going to bed!
3. Find a way to stress less and/or continue to exercise despite the weather or limited daylight.
Yoga and meditation are both great indoor activities that can help release stress as well as add movement to your day.
We haven't bought any of these yoga mats yet, but we love the story behind these women-owned companies: Jollie and R-Yolo. DharmaCrafts is another woman-owned business that sells amazing meditation cushions (that we have used and love!) as well as yoga blocks and yoga mats.
This is one way you can keep your mind stress free, even if there is a blizzard outside.
4. Wash your hands frequently. Washing your hands for at least 20 seconds is one of the best ways to protect yourself from getting sick as well as prevent the spread of germs.
Of course we recommend our wonderful foaming hand soap that washes away germs without drying out your skin!